Tuesday, October 16, 2007

lots of blinking and blank stares

Daily Stats
Words: some
Caffeine: morning cup + midmorning cappuccino (side bar - I got my coffee this morning from the Starbucks at my second home - aka Target - and the same guy is always working, and he always asks me if I watched Dancing with the Stars. ALWAYS! And every time he asks, I tell him, no, I don't watch Dancing with the Stars, but apparently he has no brain, because he asks EVERY FREAKIN' TIME! Note to Starbucks guy: this is NOT sexy! A) I put bronzer of for a reason. Remember my lovely - albeit fake - glowing face, and B) Don't tell people you watch Dancing with the Stars! It's not manly! Do it in secret, and never speak of it again!)
Evil Calories: Apple pie
Reality TV: America's Next Top Model re-runs

I have one word for you today:

R-E-J-E-C-T-I-O-N

Say it with me....REJECTION

Very good. Or bad. Yes, bad, actually.

Yep, you guessed it. After sending samples of my book to my favorite blogging agent, she sent a brief "thanks but no thank" note back. Now, I will say I appreciate the fact that she personalized the rejection. It wasn't some form, robot-written response. She said that she thought it was very well written, and like my two main characters, but she just didn't fall in love with the story like she thought she would.

WTF??? What do you mean you didn't fall in love with the story? It's the best story in the history of time. Clearly you're dead inside!

Oh, I know, I know...it happens, all great writers are rejected, yadda, yadda. It doesn't make it any easier to deal with. But, I still relish in memory of getting that email from her asking for the sample pages. For those few fleeting hours I felt like it was the real thing! Sort of like when a really cute guy asks you out, and you can savor the endless romantic possibilities in the hours leading up to the date. You know, before you find out he wears pleated pants and likes to stick chopsticks up his nose as a joke. Then removes them from his nose and proceeds to use them to eat his curry noodles.

lovely.

No comments: