Sunday, June 8, 2008

Run, Forrest, Run!

Words: 1000
Caffeine: morning cup + midmorning iced latte
Evil Calories: keep doing drive-by bites on the chocolate chip scones in the kitchen
Reality TV: Top Chef reruns

Well, I did it! I 5K'd! And I didn't end up in the hospital. Or projectiling on my husband. In fact, aside from the sweltering humidity, it actually wasn't that dreadful. Aside from the hills. And the teenage kid who sprinted past me, finishing his 10K while I was still in the last stretch of my 5K (I wish flabby lovehandles upon you, you little twerp!)

It was a bit confusing at the beginning because they said there'd be a staggered start, the 10K starting at 9:00, the 5K starting at 9:05. But then all of a sudden, the gun went off and everyone starts busting ass. Crap! There we were still strapping the boy into the jogging stroller (which can take a while. 2 & 1/2 year olds don't understand their elbows yet). We finally got him in (may have accidentally put his leg through the arm strap, but hey, at least he was right side up), but by then we were the last ones. Luckily, lots of people were walking, so we were able to pass them and ended up somewhere in the middle of the pack. And I only stopped once for a tiny second, when the boy dropped his sippy cup. I rule!

And good news! I divulged the plot of my new creation to a trusted source (you know who you are) and her head didn't fall off from boredom (at least, I don't think it did. Haven't actually seen her, so can't say for sure).

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I'm sure everyone kept their head. I can't wait to hear more about your book.

Huge congrats on the race!

Amy said...

Head still attached here! Go, go, goooooooooo.

Love your new pic, by the way.

Oh, and send choc chip scones (and vodka), s'il vous plait.

Elizabeth said...

Yay for trusted friends!
Can't wait to learn about it.
And as for the run... I'm impressed, I couldn't do it, not without falling apart and needing analgesia.