Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Let them eat cake

Daily Stats:
Words: breathing
Caffeine: morning cup so far
Evil Calories: 400 therapeutic cookies
Reality TV: Chopped

I'm one of those people who reminds myself that no matter how grim my life seems to be, there's always someone else who's been dealt a harder hand. Yes, things have a taken a harsh downward turn for us, but I'm quite certain that there are handfuls of other people out there nosediving straight to crapsville. We're not nosediving yet. We're just circling it slowly, which still gives us time veer off into greener grass. But I'm not here to post about how things have gone slightly ass over teakettle in my world. I'm here to post about cake.

Yes, cake. I don't mean the Betty Crocker boxed mix with the tub of chocolate flavored trans fat. I mean CAKE:








































(That last one is the cake from our wedding! It was so awesome, even though the frosting turned everyones lips blue)

People always ask were writers get their ideas. I, like many, get mine everywhere. A simple trip to the grocery store can spark an idea. So can sitting on the couch like a sloth watching the Food Network, which is where inspiration pounced on my head last night. I realized that I'm missing a huge opportunity in my WIP. I love cake. The love to look at cake, eat cake, and when I'm feeling frisky, I love making cake. I love the whole concept of cake. No one is ever sad or suffering around cake. Cake means people are happy. Then I thought, duh...why am I not writing about cake? I mean, hello, one of my characters runs a cafe the revolves around cake, yet the plot of my story currently has little to do with the actual cake. It's just a backdrop. But the thought of bringing the cake into the spotlight makes me giddy and happy, and I'm all about the giddy and happy right now.

Obviously, this opens a whole new door of research. Sugar arts, fondant - and probably five thousand other things I know NOTHING about. But my MC knows nothings about them either when she first walks into the cafe, so we can figure it out together. So, in the next few weeks if I ramble on about frosting or post pictures of demented experimental sugar flowers, just roll with it. K?

4 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

I ADORE cake. My sister-in-law made our wedding cake as our gift. She learned fondant and everything. Of course, the final result had what looked like a huge tumor on the back, but I think that actually made the whole thing better. Then again, I am strange.

Ray Veen said...

I've never heard the word 'fondant' before today. So apparently I am cake-tarded.

When you figure out how to make it, please send me some -- for my own educational purposes.

Eileen said...

Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. mmmmmm

Think of all the research you'll have to do!

Elise Murphy said...

Cake. Of course! A perfect idea.

I just figured out my MC needs to know archery. Cake sounds like way more fun.

Flourless chocolate cake for me please.