Monday, June 1, 2009

I'm old

Daily Stats:
Words: where's my walker?
Caffeine: morning cup + midday iced latte
Evil Calories: chocolate chip muffins that came out like bricks (but I ate them anyway, cuz chocolate chip bricks are still yummy)
Reality TV: ANTM reruns on Oxygen

For reason that are still beyond explanation, I wandered into a dark corner of the internet today and found myself watching the 2009 MTV Movie Awards. Yeah...um...I just have one tiny little question. WHO THE CRAP ARE THESE PEOPLE? I know who Andy Samberg is and I know what's her drink from Twilight...Kristin "can't act my way out of a paper sack" Stewart and Cedric Diggory from HP who plays the girly vampire dude - but seriously...the rest of them...no clue! There are a bunch of Vanessas and a few more Kristins and some chick with slicked back hair who just sat in the audience and tried to look all sexy and brooding but instead looked like she had a bug in her brain. And then these Vanessas are being nominated for their "breakthrough" performances in High School Musical part 435. I realize these aren't the Oscars, but pu-leeeeeeeeeeeeez!

So, I was sitting there being all snarky and pissy and judgmental, and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Duh. I'm old. AND MTV is no longer cool. It's been overrun by douche bags and muffys with highlights. So, it's not just me getting old, it's MTV going through a midlife crisis. If MTV still played...oh, gee...what were those things...hmmmm...let's see...oh, that's right...VIDEOS, perhaps I wouldn't suddenly feel like I need to find myself a walker and look into a career as a greeter at Walmart.

I'm still convinced that we (Gen X-ers) were the last great generation. We had Nirvana and Wayne's World and Reality Bites. Ethan Hawke vs. Zach Efron? C'mon! (and if there are any Gen Y-ers reading this and you only know Ethan from Training Day...get thee to Netflix and add Reality Bites to your queue!)

So, who's old with me? C'mon. I know you're out there...

8 comments:

Ray Veen said...

Ayup. Them were the good ol' days. Scrunchies and big hair and skin-tight jeans and flourescent Chuck Taylor's -- mullets, cut-off T-shirts, parachute pants...

Wait, how old are you again? Cuz I don't think we're talking about the same 'good ol' days'.

Vikki said...

Oh, yes we are, V. I'm 36. And let me tell you about big hair! I had those "bug shield" bangs. If I were a braver soul, I'd post my senior picture. But I won't because I actually want people to come back to my blog...not stay away out of mortal fear.

Carrie Harris said...

I'm with you two! And yeah, I had the bangs. But seriously? I just watched some of the MTV awards. They are a heckler's DREAM.

Vikki said...

Carrie - OMG, it was the MOTHERSHIP for heckling. Although, okay, I will admit that Kings of Leon were way awesome. (See, I know who they are! I can't be THAT out of touch!)

Bryan B. said...

I'm only 32.

Elise Murphy said...

I am so so old. So very old, that this keyboard wears out my old old fingers.

The only thing I watched from the MTV awards was the Sacha Baron Cohen/Eminem encounter which would have been gross in 1999 or 2009.

Bare ass belongs, well, somewhere else.

Jewel Allen said...

I never did the tsunami with my bangs, but I still love '80s music :-)

Lynnette Labelle said...

I'm old, too. LOL


If you still write romance, you might be interested in a contest I'm hosting on my blog. You can check it out at: http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Lynnette Labelle