Sunday, April 20, 2008

Devil in the Details

Daily Stats
Words: must finish chapter 17
Caffeine: morning cup so far
Evil Calories: waffles
Reality TV: really, is there life after Rock of Love 2?


When pounding out the first draft of something, my general rule is "go like a bat out of hell". A big part of this is never letting myself turn back to edit. I just leave things as they are and always move forward. However, if I were to die in a freak accident and a loved one found my first draft, they would think I was having bouts of dementia. Names change, characters suddenly appear out of nowhere, unexplained subplots pop up. But the scary thing is, although my first draft looks completely disjointed and slightly schizophrenic, I have everything straight in my head. I know exactly what I need to change or add when I go to do the rewrite. I don't even have to make notes to remind myself.

Now, I know what you're thinking. I'm some kind of brainiac with a super-human memory. But, no. Yesterday I drove to Target specifically for toilet paper and laundry detergent and left with a pair of shoes, fabric softener (which I had plenty of at home), some “lounging around stylishly” paisley pajamas, some cute little hair ties and a bag of Ruffles. No, I have the memory of a flea. But, for some reason, when it comes to my writing, I remember every single detail.

Yes, it sounds a little nutty. But this is how I know that I'm supposed to be a writer. Why else would I have this weird storytelling OCD?

Oh, I also write in my head while I'm not at my computer. And I remember everything word for word when I finally go to write it out.

Okay, now I sound like a creepy weirdo. I'm totally normal, I swear. Well, aside from the voices. No, I'm totally kidding. Sort of...

1 comment:

Eileen said...

I had to laugh. My rough drafts are the same- they'll be going along and suddenly in bold will appear "CHARACTER X SHOULD BE DEAD! FIX ABOVE" which is note for me on edits that I suddenly killed someone off.

Ah the voices....