Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Boy

Daily Stats
Words: none yet, too early
Caffeine: morning cup
Evil Calories: waffles
Reality TV: my TV has been taken over by Nicktoons, but I have to say, I'm rather impressed by the cartoons these days. Love Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron!

When I was working on my first book, my darling son was only a year old. He would lumber around like Frankenstein, trying to perfect his walk and his vocabulary was limited to adorable things like "da-da", "ma-ma" and "Volvo" (my car...they're boxy but nice!). Life was much simpler then. When I would write, he would barely take notice of my computer. But now, a year and a half later, the computer has become his nemesis. Mommy on computer = baby rage. My son is the cutest child ever in the history of time. He's also undeniably clever. Dangerous combination. For a while he would close my laptop (while I was in the midst of typing) and say things like, "I don't want it", "I don't like it" or "it's not nice". Now, his new thing is to pull the charger out of my laptop when I'm not looking. He's somehow picked up on the fact that my computer has a crap battery and must be plugged in at all times, or it will die and take forever to come back to life. So now, not only do I have to make sure he's not trying to put the cat in the dishwasher, but I have to assure he's not trying to sabotage my writing efforts.

It's a good thing he's cute.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I lost my post!
Grrrrrr!!!!
It said something like this:
is there a camera in my house cuz I live under the same conditions. Only I thought it would be funner (its a word) to add a new little daughter in the mix and then try to write my first novel. I like it when the cards are all stacked against me. Pressure makes me focused (some people call it mean but who asked my husband anyway?)

So how is your first novel doing?
Did you send it out?

Anonymous said...

Wow! Clever kid.