Sunday, November 4, 2007

Absent the Day They Taught Brilliant

Daily Stats
Words: 1600
Caffeine: morning cup + midmorning cappuccino (homemade and weak, very disappointing and shall rectify with trip to Starbucks)
Evil Calories: M&M minis (they're still good cuz they're small)
Reality TV: suspended due to Nanowrimo

Ok...I don't know how to say this without offending the author, but I just read a book called The Dog Walker, and I had to immediately run to my bookcase for an emergency Bridget Jones intervention.

What I mean by that is whenever I read a book that makes me cringe, I must immediately read something that makes me all fuzzy inside. And thankfully anything by Helen Fielding has that effect on me. I must say, in all honestly, that I really hated The Dog Walker. But here's sad thing. It's a NY Times Bestselling book. I am now thoroughly convinced that a) I either missed a crucial part of the book that made it suck less, or b) I'm missing some kind of literary genius gene.

I won't go into detail since I don't want to relive it, but I will say I should have known things were going to go pear shaped when the book opened with the main character, the dog walker, taking a bath in her client's tub while he's not at home. A client she has a big crush on. Sounds funny, yes. But no. It should have been, but it wasn't. Instead it's peppered with blatherings about sex and masturbation. And not in a good way. I ended up hating the main character before I even got past the first chapter. And it just got worse as the book went on.

Anyway, I'm now submerged in Bridget Jones, a book I've read about a hundred times that still manages to entertain me and never leaves me feeling like I need to tear my eyes out.

And I really look for that kind of thing in a book.

No comments: