Monday, October 8, 2007

El pooperific day!

Daily Stats
Words: several offensive ones
Caffeine: morning cup + midmorning cappuccino
Evil Calories: 900 slices of banana bread and maybe a frozen pizza or three. Dozen.
Reality TV: last season Project Runway marathon (Jeffrey is such an ass, why did he win? Uli should have won! I would totally wear her clothes! Jeffrey's are far too heroin chic for me.)

I'm having a bad day. Actually, the badness started last night. First, while I was just sitting down to my pad thai, the power went out. Probably because it was a million friggen' degrees outside and everyone I'm sure had their a/c running at full tilt. Anyway, being on hold with the electric co. for at least fifteen minutes, it finally came back on. When I arrived back to my pad thai, it was cold and my gimpy feline underling had absconded with one of my chopsticks. On my way up to the kitchen to get another set, I stubbed my baby toe on the stair. Hard. To the point I thought I was going to hurl. I actually thought I broke it. It puffed up to vienna sausage size and was glowing red. And today it hurts so bad I can't even put my comfy sneakers on. Now I'm not going to be able to run that 10k! (ok, truth be told, banged up toes aside, I couldn't run a 10k if my shorts were on fire and Marc Jacobs himself was handing out clothes at the finish line)

THEN, whilst dealing with my throbbing toe, I went to pull some juice out of the fridge, and I brought a container of mashed potatoes along with it, which plummeted to the floor and splattered everywhere. Oh, it gets better. Then, I go to run an errand, get in my car, and when I shut the door, a folding chair that was leaning against the garage wall next to my car falls forward and wedges in between the wall and the drivers side door. So, I can't get the door open to move it, and I can't just back up because it'll scrape the side of my car. So I have to try and climb over the console to get out the passengers side door, and I kick over my travel mug in the process.

Anyhoo, it's one of those days where I just want to huddle in a corner. Also, I stumbled upon a really good article written by the agent who requested the sample pages. Listen to these odds:

They receive about 200 queries a week. Out of that, they request 50 samples (I feel good about that....sheesh, I beat out 150 other submissions!) But...out of those samples, they request ONE full manuscript. Sometimes two if they really find a couple that stand out. But that's it. Oy vey!

Oh, well. It was a really good article, and I still love this agent, especially since she's so dang honest. And it's good to know what really goes on behind the scenes.

Who knows...maybe my manuscript will be the one they ask for.

Or maybe they'll take one look at my sample and blow their nose in it.




1 comment:

Amy said...

Okay, so it only took me 572 tries to log in to post this comment. Bite me, Google!

ANYWAY

Maybe Wolferman's is just aiming for product placement in the film adaptation of your book.

New book? You no tell me this!

Love,
Sissy