Monday, November 3, 2008

Clumsiness of action

Daily Stats:
Words: soon...
Caffeine: morning cup
Evil Calories: none, feel icky...made homemade teriyaki sauce last night, tasted like sock mixed with pez, can still smell it in kitchen
Reality TV: suspended due to NaNoWriMo

Does anyone else have trouble with action? It's always been a bit of a thorn in my writing side, and I try and take extra care getting my MC from point A to point B without it reading like a screenplay. However, the tall order of busting out 1600 words a day for NaNo leaves me with no time for delicate forethought or fine tuning, and I often get up from my keyboard feeling like I just spewed gagworthy poo (sorry gotta save all my creative descriptors for my actual writing).

I know I just need to turn my internal editor off. Throw her in a muu-muu, give her mojito and send her on a nice sabbatical to Boca. But she keeps rearing her annoying little head, making me thoroughly grouchy. I'm officially a NaNo-Bitch.

And it's only the 3rd day.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Not a NaNo-bitch yet, but came close this morning. Seems my kids are all effed up from the time change and decided to get up at 6:00 am, right in the middle of mommy-writing time. ahhhhh!

My weakness is more dialogue, so I avoid it like the plague. My internal editor cringes everytime I attempt to pen a conversation.

Vikki said...

Time change = evil. My son was up at 6:30. I just sat for a moment gently banging my head on the kitchen table. I'd gotten exactly one sentence written. So, I've just decided I'm going to be a bad parent this month and let Nicktoons and PBS do a lot of babysitting for me.

Elizabeth said...

Internal editors need to rounded up and shot down Jessie James style.
If your writing is anything like your blogs posts you will have a winning novel by the end of it.

Amy said...

Girl, you are way ahead of me when it comes to action! You know I write NOTHING but dialogue!

Which is why I never finish anything!