Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What's in a name?

Daily Stats:
Words: 1200
Caffeine: morning cup + midday cappuccino
Evil Calories: brownies
Reality TV: ANTM, Project Runway, Top Design

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I'm well into my WIP, and have come to grips with the fact that I need to change the name of my MC. The main reason is that her name is very similar to another pivotal character, and I fear this could lead to some confusion (and I cannot change the other character's name because it's a huge part of the story).

So here's a question - what would a English lit major name his daughter? I've thought of Cordelia or Ophelia, but he would have been met with resistance on the more theatrical names from my MCs stern, rigid mother. It would have to be something a little more tame.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Jane (Eyre)....or Elizabeth (Bennett, Pride & Prejudice)?
Or are they too obvious literature choices, but not an obvious enough connection when reading?

xx

Amy said...

What kind of stern is the mother? Is she feminist stern or daughters-should-be-seen-and-not-heard stern? If the former, she'd likely agree to name her daughter after Margaret Atwood, and male English professors hold Atwood in some regard. You could go with one of the Bronte sisters: Emily, Charlotte, or Anne. That would make stern mother happy and then maybe a Shakespearean middle name. For Bronte characters, Jane is a really good choice. Plus, Jane Eyre is the kind of morality tale stern mom might like. Cathy from Wuthering Heights is a bit too over the top for stern mom, though. Or maybe Pearl after Hester Prynne's daughter in The Scarlet Letter, but I'm not sure if a stern mom would go for that.

Elizabeth said...

Elizabeth.
Of course.

Rachel?
Monica?
Pheobe?

Ray Veen said...

Ray.

I'm not creative today.

Vikki said...

Ha! Elizabeth...I actually LOVE the name Phoebe. And actually, one of my other characters is already named Phoebe!

And, hey, BPV, Ray isn't bad. Interesting for a girl. I wonder if it could be short for some over-the-top Shakespearean name.

Thanks rags and AE! I've always loved the name Jane, but it doesn't really fit my MC, and love both Charlotte (Bronte) and Miranda (from The Tempest) but I can't even entertain the idea of using those without hearing Sarah Jessica Parker's voice (damn you, Candice Bushnell!)

Tracey said...

Isabella, Katerina, Helena ... all Shakespearean.